The best way to describe these delicacies is soft, fluffy cookies topped with jam and more cookie shavings. I’ve taken what is a simple, basic recipe and amped it up with the cinnamon and cardamom powders in order to give it a more South Asian twist. However, if you want to stick to the original, simply omit these spices and continue as normal.
Ingredients (Makes 12 cookie cups)
- 125g butter
- 2tbsp cooking oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 2tsp baking powder
- 2bsp castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 1tsp cardamom powder
- Jam for spreading
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add in the oil and vanilla, and beat well
- Stir in the beaten egg, then sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom. Knead into a soft dough.
- Split 3/4 of the dough evenly across a 12-cupcake tin, flattening it in each base. Spread each cup with jam.
- Grate the remaining 1/4 dough and sprinkle evenly over the 12, jam-covered cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar whilst hot.
Take a look at our reel for a visual guide on how to make Hungarian Tarts.
Please follow and like us:
1 thought on “Cinnamon & Cardamom Hungarian Tarts”
Yes! Finally something about folic.