Have you tried agar agar in dessert before? I’m taking it back to grandma’s kitchen with this agar agar recipe: it’s so easy, requires cupboard staple ingredients only, and is perfect as a light, refreshing dessert after a delicious meal.
Ingredients (serves 3-5 people)
- 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
- 250ml water
- 75g sugar
- 300ml milk
- 3tsp custard powder
- 100ml double cream
- 2 powder food colourings of choice (1/8 tsp of each)
- In a heavy based pan, stir the agar agar powder and water and bring to boil on medium heat until it dissolves and thickens. Then, add in the sugar and 250ml of milk and continue to boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Divide the mixture into 3 small bowls.
- In a cup, mix the custard powder and remaining 50ml milk to form a runny paste, then combine with the agar agar in one of the 3 bowls. Mix well and set aside.
- Add the food colourings of choice into each of the other 2 agar agar bowls.
- Pour the custard mix into the pan and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Whisk until it has a smooth, liquid consistency, then pour into the dessert dish/es and leave to set.
- Meanwhile, mix half the double cream into one of the 2 coloured mixes. Pour into a pan and bring to a boil on medium heat. Repeat step 6 and pour the coloured liquid over the set custard layer.
- Repeat step 7 with the remaining double cream and 3rd coloured agar agar mix.
- Leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- (Optional) Before serving: decorate with whipped cream and fruit of choice.