Everyone loves a good crumble and it really is one of the easiest desserts to make. Here, we’ve got a twist on the classic apple base with a recipe for a summer fruit, berry crumble and what’s best is that you can substitute these fruits for others you may have too. To serve, it’s whatever you fancy, be it ice-cream or hot custard.
- 500g frozen mixed summer berries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
For the Crumble Topping:
- 140g plain flour
- 25g porridge oats
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g soft margarine or butter
- 4tsp demerara sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5. In a large ovenproof dish, mix together the frozen berries and icing sugar. Leave to set until the icing sugar has completely dissolved into the berries.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, coconut, caster sugar, cinnamon powder and margarine. Using your fingers, rub in the margarine until the mixture becomes a fine crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and top with the demerara sugar. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Serve with ice-cream, double cream or hot custard.