Madeleines are a traditional French cake, super spongey and soft. Their iconic shape is created using the specific baking tray, but this recipe can easily be adapted in cupcake form if you prefer.
Madeleine tray from @amazon and also on @johnlewispr
Ingredients (Makes approx.20)
- 100g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp rose water
- 29g ground pistachio
- 86g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g melted and cooled butter
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- Splash of water.
Choice of toppings: edible rose petals, melted white chocolate, ground pistachios
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4/ 180c
- Cream the eggs and sugar together on high speed until pale, fluffy and doubled in size
- Mix in the rose water & honey, then sift in the salt, baking powder, flour and ground pistachios. Mix well with a spatula then refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: mix all the ingredients together until well combined
- Spoon 1 loaded tsp of mixture into each Madeleine case, then bake for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven once baked and leave to cool
- Once the madeleines are cooled, brush them with the glaze and decorate with your choice of toppings such edible rose petals, ground pistachios, white chocolate and sugar crystals