The perfect afternoon tea treat that can be ‘whipped up’ in no time at all, and looks so pretty too. One of the best things about this dessert is there is no need for perfection: the more imperfect it is, the more ‘rustic’ it is.
- Ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml Double Cream
- 4-5 tbsp Jam
- 1tbsp white sugar
- (optional) strawberries, halved
- (optional) icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4. Cut puff pastry into palm sized pieces and place flat on a baking tray.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle with sugar and bake until risen and golden brown ( approx 10-15 minutes.) Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Meanwhile, whip the cream until thick.
- When pastry is cool, spread a nice, thick layer of jam on each piece, top with cream, finish with a piece of strawberry and dust with icing sugar. Voila
– Pastry can be baked in advance: just leave in an airtight container, in a cool place (not the fridge.) Top with the jam and cream just before serving