The pancake cereal trend is such a brilliant idea for both adults and children. The concept is basically mini, dutch pancakes with a splash of milk. I find it easiest to use a ready-made pancake mix to get those traditionally American fluffy discs as it’s the most time-effective and reduces hassle.
- Box pancakes, made up as instructed
- 2-3 food colourings of your choice, with 3 small bowls.
- 1tbsp butter
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Optional: whipped cream
1) Whip up your pancake batter as normal
2) Divide it into as many bowls as the amount of colours you are wanting and mix a drop of food colouring in to each. I did 3 colours: red, green and kept one plain
3) Butter the frying a pan and use a teaspoon to drop a small amount of mixture onto the pan. Sprinkle with coloured sweets whilst the mixture is still wet and cook for 1.5 minutes on each side until golden. Empty the pancakes into your cereal bowl.
4) Serve with a splash of milk and a nice helping of whipped cream. Sprinkle with more sweets. Enjoy!
- Many tutorials use a piping bag to pipe the mini circles into the pan, but I found that using a teaspoon did the same thing. The circles were perfectly formed, and the amount of mixture per pancake was just right too
- Adapt the colours to suit any occasion: red/pink/white for valentines etc etc