This is the all-in-one recipe you need for the fluffiest, most flavourful peri-peri rice which can be paired with just about anything, but our favourites are a homemade Nando’s chicken, halloumi and some coleslaw.
- 1 cup rice, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 2tsp oil
- 1/8 cup frozen mixed peppers
- 1 chicken stock cubes
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1tsp peri peri seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2.5 cups of cold water
- handful of mixed veg
- Braise the onions and peppers in oil on a medium heat until softened and golden brown.
- Add in the stock cube and ground spices and cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Keep mixing to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Add 2.5 cups of cold water and the mixed vegetables into the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, drain the soaked rice and wash it thoroughly. Add it in to the and continue to boil until the water comes level to the rice. At this point, cover with a lid, switch to low heat and let it steam for 20 minutes without removing the lid. After 20 minutes, check on the rice and fluff it with a fork: if the water has evaporated and rice is to your desired texture, remove from heat and serve. (If you prefer it to be fluffier or the rice isn’t cooked through, pour in another half cup boiling water, cover with the lid and leave for an additional 15 minutes.)
You May Also Be Interested In…