Galette is the term used to describe various types of ‘flat form’ cakes and the word quite literally translates to ‘Flat Cake.’ I’ve used puff pastry as the base of this galette, topped with jam and then some mixed berries. All in all, it takes a maximum of 10 minutes to prepare followed by 15-20 minutes in the oven until golden brown. It is an impressive dessert to present guests but light in both work and taste. The combination of puff pastry and sweet fruit is undefeated and here, it wins again.
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 120g-150g strawberries
- 50-60g raspeberries
- 35-40g blueberries
- 1/8 cup icing sugar
- 2tsp corn flour
- (Optional) 2tbsp rose water
- 1 egg, whisked
- White sugar
- Pre-heat the oven according to the packet instructions on your puff pastry (some brands recommend Gas Mark 6 whilst others Gas Mark 7)
- In a bowl, combine the washed and dried fresh fruit, icing sugar, cornflour and rose water if using. Mix well ensuring the sugar and flour is dissolved and evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry and use a large, round dinner plate to cut out the biggest circle you can from the puff pastry.
- Spread an even layer of jam on the round, cut-out puff pastry leaving 1-inch free all the way around the circumference (edge).
- Layer the fruit mixture directly onto the jam.
- Fold the puff pastry from the edges, partially over the fruit and crimp it as you go along.
- Brush the pastry with the whisked egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and has risen. Serve hot on its own, or with cream / ice cream.
For a video tutorial, check out our Instagram reel here.
You Might Also Be Interested In…
- 3-ingredient, Mango-Passion-Fruit, Cream-Filled Brandy Snaps
- Mango and Passionfruit, Cream Cheese Tarts
- Strawberries and Cream Jam Puffs
Please follow and like us: